Wednesday 6 February 2013

DJANGO - Entertaining History Of Slavery


After just having seen 'Django Unchained' this evening I am back from the picture house, on my sofa, with the dog at my feet. I have only had as little as a tuna sandwich since I have came back home. Having saved myself from starvation, with hands on my laptop, I am about to answer the question which you are all surely asking: 'Was it a good film at all?'.

It was a brilliant film indeed. Brutal and violent at times, it depicts a story of Django - a black slave (Jamie Foxx, famous for his leading role in Oscar nominated 'Ray') who helps a very charismatic and eccentric Dr. Schultz (Christoph Waltz, previousely in 'Inglourious Basterds') catch criminals and collect bounty for them. Dr. Schultz trains Django and offers him a job as a killer.

Like in all Tarantino's films we have a clash of music styles, witty conversations, gun fights, blood and dark humor. It is a bit of an irony that it is up to this particular director to reconnect us to the difficult chapters of human history in a way that is somewhat entertaining.

'Django Unchained' is a remake of 1966 film. Original 'Django' earned a reputation as being one of the most violent movies ever made up to that point and was subsequently refused a certificate in Britain until 1993.